Dental anxiety is very real and affects a vast number of people. From getting nervous in the waiting room to completely avoiding check ups, the range of dental phobia is endless. Maestri Family Dentistry is here to help you overcome your fears and get comfortable with your experiences at our office.
Let’s get to the “root” of the issue. Many people feel as if they have no control during their visits and this couldn’t be further from the truth! Make sure you meet with your dentist, discuss your fears and find out what can be done to help you feel more comfortable!
Here are five tips to fight your phobia:
- Discuss your fears with your dentist! Make sure you let them know that this is something that gives you anxiety. If they don’t know about your phobia, they can’t tend to it! Your dentist can also explain steps of the procedure so that you are aware of what is going on.
- Do your research! Get all of the information you can get about any procedure that will happen when you get to your appointment. If you like to know exactly what is going on, hopefully this will ease your discomfort and allow you to be more knowledgeable about the process!
- Bring someone with you! Ask your dentist if you can bring someone back with you. But even if you can’t, having someone sit in the waiting room to distract you might ease your anxiety!
- Happy gas! There may be sedatives that could help you relax a little bit more during the procedure. Don’t hesitate to ask for a little happy gas to help with your phobia!
- Take big breaths! If you need to take a quick break during your procedure, tell your dentist prior to your appointment! Take deep breaths and try to relax.