Adult hygiene is just as important as hygiene is as a child or teenager. You can keep your teeth for your lifetime if you follow and maintain a healthy mouth.
The following are tips for adults to maintain their oral health:
- Drink fluoridated water
- Brush with fluoride toothpaste
- Brush teeth thoroughly and floss between the teeth
- Visit your dentist on a regular basis (even if you have dentures or veneers)
- Do not use any tobacco products
- Limit your alcohol intake
- Have diabetes? Work to maintain control of the disease; this can decrease your risk for gum disease.
- Try to avoid ‘dry mouth’ if possible. If it is caused by a medication, ask your doctor if you can switch medications.
- If dry mouth cannot be avoided, drink lots of water, limit your sugar intake, and avoid tobacco and alcohol.
Too busy to maintain these steps? Here are a few to help on-the-go adults:
- Carry a portable toothbrush
- Avoid dry mouth: drink water and rinse your mouth out after a meal
- Chewing sugar free gum
- Leave your toothbrush out to dry
- Mind those sugary treats