The debate between electric and manual toothbrushes seems to be a never ending face-off but today, Maestri Family Dentistry will help you decide what:s the best toothbrush for you. Whether you decide on manual or electric, generally you are supposed to brush for a solid two minutes, twice a day. For manual toothbrushes, getting something that you can properly grip is important. You want to be able to clean the hard-to-reach areas of your mouth.
Electric toothbrushes have a lot more to consider. From vibration, size, and timing, there are a ton of things offered by different brands. Buying an electric toothbrush can be a bit of an investment but many people swear by it. Below are a list of features that help brushing more convenient and effective:
- Rechargeable battery. Having a rechargeable battery can save you money! Make sure you get something that makes brushing more convenient overall. From purchase to repurchase, you want something that lasts a long time.
- Modes. A lot of electric toothbrushes allow you to choose a mode for brushing. Spinning, up and down, fast, slow. There are so many options. Everyone likes to be able to choose what is best for them. Get a toothbrush that gives you that.
- Timing. As we mentioned before, you should be brushing twice a day for two minutes. Some electric toothbrushes add to the convenience factor because they tell you how long you have been brushing or even set a timer to 2 minuses to ensure you brush for the right amount of time.
- Comfort. From grip to bristles, don’t compromise on comfort. Figure out the best and most comfortable option for you. Some people need softer bristles or a bulkier handle.
- Budget. You may need to look in to the different aspects of the toothbrush. Will you need to buy a replacement after a certain amount of time? Will you need to keep buying batteries or does it have a rechargeable battery? Is it known for breaking easily? Make sure you do some research and that you are getting the biggest bang for your buck!
Now that you know what elements to look for, let’s talk about the Sonicare that we offer here at Maestri Family Dentistry. Sonicare has a large variety of options. If you are looking for something that you can connect to your phone through an app or something extremely simple, there is one for everybody at sonicare.com or you can talk to us at your next appointment! Sonicare toothbrushes have timers, rechargeable batteries, and most have multiple modes to choose from. They are the perfect size for grip and reach.
If you are looking for a toothbrush upgrade, the options are endless. The real “tooth” about toothbrushes is that one size doesn’t always fit all. Find what works for you and if that means sticking with a manual toothbrush, stay true to you!