Most times, the fear of dentists come from not knowing exactly what is going to happen once you get there. No worries! Here at Maestri Family Dentistry, we won’t leave you wondering what your dental check up consists of; instead, we want you to know what you're walking into. This way you are comfortable the entire time you're in the chair which will help your appointment go smoothly!
Here is what you can expect:
- Clean Those Bad Boys: We know that you have been flossing and brushing consistently but when you come to the dentist, it's time to get a good clean and polish from a pro. This consists of a thorough brushing, polishing and flossing that will reach all of those hard to get places.
- Tips and Tricks: If your dental hygienist sees that there is room for improvement, they will probably give you some tips on flossing more effectively or take a little time to educate you about properly cleaning if they detect any problems. This is a great time to ask any questions, tell them if you’ve had any issues pop up, or just simply learn more about your teeth!
- Check Up: Your dentist will come in and make sure you have no cavities, gum disease or any other signs of a potential problem. This may seem like a lot of prodding inside your mouth but this is how they make sure there are no serious issues that need to be addressed! If you have anxiety about this particular part, let your dentist know so that they can help you through the process.
- Let’s Get Deeper: At some of your check ups, you might need to get an x-ray. Do not freak out! This is done to gather a better sense for decay, gum disease, or other dental problems.
- Treats: This is the best part! After all that you had to go through, you will get a bag of items to help you keep your teeth healthy. Try to soak in all of the information you can about dental hygiene while you are there and then go home with some goodies that you can use to practice what you learned!
- Schedule: Now it is time to schedule your next appointment. Have an idea of what your calendar looks like in around 6 months (but remember, if something comes up, you can always call to reschedule). Don’t wait too long as we know schedules get busy and people forget. Keeping your teeth clean is extremely important. Dr. Maestri and all of us at Maestri Family Dentistry want to make sure you have the brightest smile out there